Friday, January 11, 2008

“That woman speaks eight languages and can't say no in any of them.” Dorothy Parker

I am always trying to pick up bits of pieces of foreign languages but usually with nothing to back them up I forget most of it. However there is another option and that is Mango language. Think of it as your own personal language institute that is also free of charge. The tools that this site has are quite extensive when you think that there is no charge. The have tools like memory building exercises to cement the vocabulary and the color coding is a small feature but it makes a big difference. Also this is the first language site I have seen that does not tell me how to say the black cat is in the tree before they tell me anything I can actually use in real conversation. I rarely see cats in trees. They also have what they call rollover pronunciation. So if you come to a word and you cannot remember how it is said point to it and it will give you a phonetic translation. This is pretty neat stuff. I should mention that they do sell MP3s if you want to be more portable. If you are heading abroad or you just want to brush up on a language give this one a try.

No comments: