Friday, September 18, 2009

"When Ignorance lurks, so too do the frontiers of discovery and imagination" Neil deGrasse Tyson

I have always found science fascinating. From an early age I experimented with my chemistry set in our basement. Sometimes with disastrous results....Sorry mom. Neil deGrasse Tyson is one of the best speakers on astrophysics out there. However in my opinion I believe he is at his very best speaking about science in general. Nova puts out a podcast that I listen to regularly and they feature Tyson quite often. I recommend listening to this podcast all the time but as an intro I would start with this particular one. In this podcast he is taking questions from the crowd and speaks about science but also touches on subjects from the rearing of science children to energy escapism of black holes. It is both entertaining and fascinating. Instructions to sign up for the podcast can be found here.

Also since I am speaking of science I might as well mention a new album that just came out aimed at children. Although it is aimed at kids it is just as good for anyone. The band They Might Be Giants put out a new album entitled “Here Comes Science.” You can see and hear a sample above. I listened to the whole album and it is fun and you end up learning at the very least science terminology. I believe you will get a lot more than just that but it is a start. The subjects range from the elements to the fourth state of matter. It is kind of like School House Rock for a new generation. To buy it click here. Give these a try.

No comments: