To round out this mini discussion on Web 2.0 I want to talk about a feature that is used by most of the social sites. Folksonomies are user generated tags used to organize and describe things on the web. This usually takes the form of a cloud of words called a tag cloud. At the most basic level it is a jumble of words that range in size. This represents how much information there is on a topic. If it is large there is a lot of info, small, less so. Without this system it is just a jumble of non indexed information. Most of the social sites use this to make it easier to find information. Try some of the ones below to really get an idea. I am only listing tag clouds here today.
- FlickR- find interesting photos through tags
- Del.icio.us- see other people's bookmarks
- Librarything - find books
- Technorati - tags on tags used on blogs
- Voodoochili - tags submitted by visual artists
- Presidential cloud - Presidents speeches reduced to tag clouds
- New York Times - search stories through their clouds. See what they cover in a glance