Wednesday, May 23, 2007

“We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.”


Quote comes from Martin Luther King, Jr

Yesterdays post was long but I realized I did not get to really complete the it. These Web 2.0 services are about socializing but I personally do not think of them in this manner or at least I do not use them in their intended manner. Even as a kid, I was always connected whether it was, a book, tape player or a radio. The feeling for me was if I had a question I wanted to know how to access the information immediately because I might forget the thought two seconds later. Web 2.0 has become an extension of this and better than any tool I had before. I think of it more like a network of contacts you can use to address any issue. Some people will have the information you need at that second. I had a baseball question and I went into my manager's office to get this answered because just like Bo, Dorey Knows baseball. 2.0 can be used in this same manner. Instead of just going to Google to answer my questions I am more likely to head to a 2.0 service like Youtube. It seems everything ends up there first nowadays. Recently I wanted to hear some commencement speeches. I tried Youtube first because I did not want to read the text but I wanted to experience the speeches. Because Youtube is made up of everyone who can upload a video I found speeches of every type ranging from Seth Macfarlane's speech at Harvard (creator of Family Guy) to the Vice President's speech at Brigham Young University. My point here is that Web 2.0 is a social community and this can be used to say hi to an old friend or to find and discuss the best ways to make Hollandaise sauce. It has as many possibilities and uses that you can come up with. Give it a try.

No comments: