Tuesday, July 31, 2007

“I heard that if you locked William Shakespeare in a room with a typewriter for long enough, he'd eventually write all the songs by the Monkeys”


Many people attend the classes and ask the same question “Do you teach typing?” My answer is that I teach about the keyboard and what it does but I do not teach typing. The reason is simple. My classes are only two hours and are independent of each other. So how does one learn typing or keyboarding as it is named now? There are books on the subject but personally prefer typing programs. Mavis Beacon has been the standard for a long time. You can usually find an older version for just under 10 dollars. Now, for kids, there was an older version of Mavis teaches typing but I like the looks of Spongebob Squarepants teaches typing. The tag line is that any barnclehead can learn to type. Essentially a fairly popular cartoon character teaches typing using traditional techniques and games to reinforce the learning. Also, here at the Providence Public Library, we us Type to Learn. This is another kid oriented typing program. It works well and teaches a bit of history. If you want to speed up I recommend giving one of these programs a try but no matter what you choose you must devote the time to it. It took me about 6 months to get to 30 words per minute.

Note: I will try to find some free versions and post them in a couple of weeks.

No comments: