Thursday, July 05, 2007

"A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men.” Herman Melville


Sometimes I come across a piece of software or website i know I am going to use over and over but it is doubly rare that I would ever change my homepage for a new find. I have had Google as my first stop on the net (homepage) for over 6 years but Sputtr has made me change my mind. In today's version of the Internet everything is connected in some manner. If I search for someone or something I do not do just do a Google search; I look on Youtube, yahoo, Flickr, Digg, Facebook, Myspace and every other possibility. So what is the problem then? I can easily go those sites and do the search but Sputtr has made one page that has all the choices at your fingertips. All the major search tools are just a single click away. Also you are not stuck with their default choices. You can pick from a very long list and replace current ones. For an example I rarely do a Google Scholar search but I am more likely to do an About.com search. In a matter of seconds I can change it to my preferred setup. The other real benefit is that all of my favorite web tools are in front of me and I won't forget to use one. For me when tools are out of sight they are out of mind. If you are looking for choices and simplicity give this a try.

No comments: