Tuesday, January 29, 2008

“I don't have a photograph, but you can have my footprints. They're upstairs in my socks.”

I have written of the wonders of Flickr many times before and it seems I am not the only one to find it useful. The Library of Congress has released 3000 photos onto the site. The idea is brilliant, harness the Web 2.0 communities to identify, categorize, and just enjoy these works of photographic art. When I checked this out it seemed that every photo had at least 50 comments with full discussions ranging from fashion to propaganda. I will say if you do go onto this site make sure you have nothing to do because it is quite extensive and addictive. You just want to keep walking through out the archives that have remained unseen by the general public for so long. (Selfish plug coming up) For the same reasons I have been really enjoying Rick Ring’s blog about Providence Public Library’s special collections. These places that take care of our histories are our time machines to the past. Sometimes they are the way back and amazingly others show a way forward. I recommend giving both a try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband and I have been putting our vacation photos up on Flikr for some time now and recently we both received email from a site called schmaps asking for permission to use our photos (His of Rome and mine from Kilarney Irleand) They were under consideration to be included in the 4th online edition of schmaps (a vacation guide) They did decide to use his
http://www.schmap.com/rome/home/#r=none&mapview=Map&tab=Text&p=9456&topleft=41.96026,12.42365&bottomright=41.83453,12.52012&i=9456_20.jpg